Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Journal 9 NETS-T I,II, & III

I can see me: webcams in the classroom

Frey, T, Houlton, A, & Gruis, E. (2010, November). I can see me: webcams in the classroom. Learning and Leading with Technology,38(3) 36-37.

The article I can see me: web cams in the classroom discussed the benefits that webcams can have on learning. Webcams can be useful in developing reading skills, reflection, and social skills. The webcams can allow students to practice independently at their own level of comfort so that they can later apply what they learned to the classroom. It talked bout two successful examples of student and how it improved their learning. One was a bout a boy who increased his reading speed and improved his oral reading who before the web camera idea was having difficulties in reading. The other example was about a girl who with selective mutism that rarely spoke with peers and teachers. Through the use of this new technology she was able to record her ideas and thoughts and have a say in her IEP.

How can web cameras be beneficial?

Web cameras are beneficial in many ways. It allows student to practice and see their errors and correct them for the second time around. Doing so allows them reduce their anxiety levels as opposed to having them practice with others, that for some can sometimes be intimidating.

Apart from learning use why would I want Web camera in my classroom?

Web cameras are not only beneficial for student learning, but the cameras are also relatively inexpensive, come already integrated in some computers, and are usually small. This makes web cameras, affordable, accessable, and useful, and space savers. In addition I could even use it to communicate with other educators.

No comments:

Post a Comment